Ultrasonics and Medical Imaging Laboratory (UMI)
Acoustic Properties Measurement by Ultra-High Frequency Ultrasound
- Measurement of the speed of sound, attenuation and acoustic impedance by 1 MHz-250 MHz Ultrasound
- Verification of the relationship between tissue composition/structure and acoustical characteristics.
Fig. Speed of sound of fibrotic rat liver measured by 250 MHz ultrasound (left). HE staind histology of same tissue (right).
Tissue Characterization by Multi-Band Frequency Ultrasound
- Detection of small target tissues from echo signal/image of each organ.
- Quantitative diagnosis of progressive diseases by statistical analysys of echo signal.
- Determination of metastasis by high-frequency ultrasound.
Fig. Fiber structures in serious chronic hepatitis human liver．
Fig. Estimation result of scatterer density in metastatic human lymph node.
3D Fusuin Imaging for Surgery Assistance
- Visualization of target tissues in each organ.
- Segmentation/Registration of targrt tissues in US, CT and Oputical image.
- Muiti-modality fusion imaging.
Fig. 3D fusion imaging of ultrasonic imaeg and laparoscopic image (left). visualization of blood vessels in liver (right).
Facilities in UMI
- A clinical ultrasound scanner and a Toshiba ultrasound system, GE ultrasound system
- An ultrasound bio microscopy
- Single-element imaging transducers ranging from 0.5 to 250 MHz
- An optical bench with a 3-axis computer-controlled motion system (1-?m resolution).
- Flexible 2-axis computer-controlled motion system (1-?m resolution).
- A complement of standard electronic instruments including digital oscilloscopes, function generators, lock-in amplifier, PID controller, photodetectors, etc.
- A vacuum chamber and a churning machine for making phantom
- A surgical bench for small animal
- Large set of phantoms for accuracy evaluation of ultrasound scanner and transducer
- High-speed operation computers with multi CPU and GPU
- Digital cameras and video editing apparatus
© UMI Lab. Chiba Univ. 2014 All rights reserved.